Homemade Body Lotion Recipe: Gingerbread Body Lotion
One of the things I love about this time of year (October through Christmas) is the smell of baking. It’s everywhere. The very air seems to smell like ginger, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin, and brown sugar all cooking together. I’ve long wanted a way to immerse myself in this delicious scent year-round and now, thanks to this homemade body lotion recipe, I can! 🙂
This homemade body lotion recipe for gingerbread body lotion is a guilt free way enjoy the tantalizing scents of fall and the holiday season. Instead of ingesting calories and padding your waistline, you’ll get super soft skin that isn’t at all phased by the drying effects of winter.
Other than the delicious smell, let’s look at the ingredients that make this homemade body lotion recipe so awesome:
Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer. In addition, it contains lauric acid which possesses antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties to help prevent acne breakouts and sooth red irritated skin. Lastly, thanks to its antioxidant properties, coconut oil can also prevent or reduce premature signs of aging such as wrinkles. If you want incorporate more coconut oil into your daily beauty regime, check out these coconut oil lotion bars.
Shea butter is another moisturizer; however, it’s also rich in vitamin A which is your skin’s BFF. Vitamin A helps reduce the appearance of blemishes, scars, stretch marks, wrinkles, and more.
Ginger essential oil isn’t just to make this homemade body lotion recipe smell good. This essential oil has roughly 40 antioxidant properties that help prevent free radical damage and can improve your skin’s tone and elasticity.
Cinnamon essential oil can stimulate blood vessels thus bringing blood to the surface and reducing the appearance of fine lines. It also has antiseptic properties which can help prevent or kill bacteria (such as the bacteria that can infect pores and cause acne).
Note: If you aren’t crazy about the smell of gingerbread (what are you, an alien?) but still want to take advantage of the beauty benefits of coconut oil and essential oils, try these creamsicle lotion bars.
As you can see, this homemade body lotion recipe doesn’t just smell good, it’s good for you. If only the same could be said about actual gingerbread…. 😉
Obviously, I love the smell and health benefits of this homemade body lotion recipe but I also love how easy it is to make. This recipe requires just 5 steps and approximately 30 minutes (15 of which are letting it firm up in the fridge). Since I’m so busy during the lead up to the holiday season, I really appreciate how easy and practically foolproof this homemade body lotion recipe is. Seriously, it would be pretty hard to screw this one up, which is good since my mind is typically on about 10 different things at once during this time of year.
Thanks to its delicious scent and health benefits, I definitely think this homemade body lotion recipe would make a great gift. Plus, since it’s so quick to whip up, if you keep the materials on hand, you can even use this gingerbread body lotion as a last minute gift idea.
Now, let’s get on with this homemade body lotion recipe and capture the scent of the season!
1. Melt the Shea butter and coconut oil in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently.
2. Pour the melted mixture into the metal bowl of a stand mixer and place in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes.
3. Remove from the fridge, and add ginger, cinnamon, essential oils, and vanilla extract.
4. Whip on high for 5 minutes or until mixture is a creamy fluffy consistency.
5. Transfer to a Mason jar.
Note: The consistency of this homemade body lotion recipe will depend, in part, on the temperature of your home. If your house is cool, the lotion will be firmer. If your house is warm, the lotion will be softer and looser. This homemade body lotion recipe is safe to use either way.
Now that this homemade body lotion recipe has given you soft, supple skin, how about trying some other DIY bath and beauty products? For inspiration, follow Freebie Finding Mom’s DIY Beauty and Homemade Beauty Products Pinterest boards.
Do you like to use homemade beauty products and homemade cleaners? I love the ability to make products to use in my home that are all natural and safe which is why I am a big fan of essential oils. Young Living essential oils are my favorite oils because they are some of the best essential oils on the market. I also appreciate that Young Living guarantees no pesticides or herbicides were used in the growing of their oils, and that they are the only company that has their own farms, so they can ensure the quality of their oils.
Whether you already use Young Living essential oils or are new to the company, for a limited time, you can snag an awesome deal on a Young Living Premium Starter Kit!
The Young Living Premium Starter Kit includes:
- Eleven (5 ml) therapeutic-grade essential oils
- Your choice of Dew Drop or another Home Diffuser
- Several FREEBIES including a $20 Amazon gift card (limited time offer!), a reference guide, and access to our private Facebook groups where you can learn more about essential oils (how to use them, benefits, how to make money selling them etc.)
- Plus, with this order, you automatically become a wholesale member, which means you will save 24% off all of your orders! Even if you are not interested in selling Young Living essential oils, you still get the member discount if you purchase this Premium Starter Kit, and make at least one purchase of $50 per year!
*One exciting aspect of picking up the Premium Starter Kit is that you immediately have your own business (if you want)! There are numerous perks to becoming a seller and promoter of Young Living essential oils, so if you have been wanting a way to make money at home, this could be the right solution for you. Please note: You are NOT required to sell anything, it is completely your choice, but if you are interested in selling Young Living essential oils, I’d be happy to share with you more about this, feel free to email me at the address below.
Here’s How to Get Your Young Living Premium Starter Kit:
- Go to the Young Living Enrollment page.
- Choose Member for the membership type.
- Double check that the Sponsor ID and Enroller ID are both showing 2751941
- To ensure you never run out of your oils, you can enroll in the optional Essential Rewards program at this time. This is a monthly auto-ship program where if you commit to spending 50 PV (usually $50) for eleven out of the twelve months of the year, you can earn FREE product credits and reduced shipping! I love to save money, so I recommend this option! (You may opt out if you are not interested.)
- Add any additional products and fill in your information. A couple of additions you may want to consider are Lemongrass Vitality which is great for pain relief and a Thieves Household Cleaner. I like the Thieves Household Cleaner because not only is it cheaper than most any cleaner you can buy in stores, but it is non-toxic too. As a mom, this matters to me.
- After you fill out your information, including name, address, phone, email, etc., you will also enter your social security number and agree to the terms & conditions.
- Select your choice of shipping, and then you will enter your payment information.
- Review your order and then click Activate and Place Order. That’s it! Your oils will be on their way!
Please feel free to email me with any questions at email@example.com. Your freebies will be shipped within 2-4 weeks.
Want to learn more about Young Living essential oils and why they are my preferred essential oil provider? Go here.