Halloween Inspired Kids Cupcake Ideas: Monster Cupcakes
Halloween basically sets the holiday season in motion. From there we move on to Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Eve with all of those get togethers with friends, family, and coworkers strung in-between. It’s basically a spree of amazingly delicious eating that culminates in a large portion of the population vowing to “get back on track” and “eat right” in the new year. However, I’m getting ahead of myself. Let’s talk Halloween sweets and worry about the resolutions a little later.
If you’re looking for Halloween goodies to start getting the kids in the spirit, how about some ghoulish kids cupcake ideas? There are plenty of creepy and fun kids cupcake ideas available for you and the little ones to create in the kitchen like the mad scientists you are – just check out Pinterest for inspiration. There are kids cupcake ideas for everything from spiders to ghosts to pumpkins; however, if you’re looking for a relatively simple kids cupcake idea I recommend these monster cupcakes.
For more fun kid friendly recipes follow Freebie Finding Mom’s Toddler Lunch Ideas Pinterest board.
½ C. butter, softened to room temperature
1 C. milk
1 tsp. white vinegar
1 ½ C. flour
1 C. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/3 C. cocoa powder
3 small sandwich baggies
Wilton Products Needed (You can find all of these products on Amazon.com by clicking on the links below):
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease 12ct. cupcake tin.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the ½ cup of softened butter, 2 eggs, milk, sugar, and vinegar. Beat until smooth.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. Mix well.
4. Slowly fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients stirring until smooth and all the lumps are gone.
5. Pour the batter evenly into the cupcake tin and bake 19-21 minutes. Around 19 minutes insert a clean toothpick into the cupcakes and if it comes out clean they are done.
6. Remove cupcakes from the oven and allow them to cool completely prior to decorating.
1. Separate about 6 oz. of each color into microwave safe dishes and microwave separately in 30 second increments, stirring every 30 seconds until melted. Let cool 3-4 minutes before scooping each color into a small sandwich baggie.
2. Choosing one color at a time – simply make a small snip in the corner of the sandwich bag and gently squeeze the baggie making fun lines and squiggles on top of each cupcake. It definitely doesn’t have to be perfect so have fun with it. This is a perfect helper job for the kids.
3. Once you’ve decorated the top of your cupcake simply add a few of each monster ‘eye’ before the chocolate sets.
4. Set aside and repeat with the other colors and cupcakes.
There you have it, a simple and scary kids cupcake idea for Halloween. These cupcakes are easy to decorate and, after all, they’re monsters so don’t be afraid to get a little messy and crazy.
Do you have other kids cupcake ideas that are perfect for Halloween or fall in general? If so, share them in the comments.